Thursday, September 13, 2007

Jackpot!

Last week my mom send me an email and told me to keep an eye on the mailbox. Hmmm... wonder if that means she sent something? Well, I've been waiting and waiting. And my mom has been asking me every day if there was anything in the mail. We were both getting worried that something had happened to the package. Yesterday she checked the tracking info and the post office said they attempted delivery on September 7th! Almost a week ago! So I set off to the post office to find out what happened to my packages.

On the way (it's about a 1/2 mile walk to the post office), I determined that the mail carrier was stealing my packages. What other reasonable explanation could there be? The post office attempted delivery on September 7th, but there was not a notice in our box or on our door. I wasn't expecting much help at the post office, but I had to give it a try.

When I arrived, I found the English-speaking employee and showed him the tracking number my mother had sent. Yes, he said, they had my package. They brought out a package from Aunt Sue (Mom had mentioned that there were two packages) and I told them their should be another one. The lady went to the back and returned with two more packages! One from my family and one from Brian's family!


I asked whether I should I have received a notice about the packages and the answer was "Yes, of course." Of course. Yet here are three packages and no notices! Oh well, I have the packages now.

I considered taking my cart I use for groceries to the post office -- just in case I actually got the packages -- but I figured I could stick one box in my backpack and carry the other. I wasn't expecting three boxes! The trip home was long and tiresome, but it was worth it.


Sharkdog wanted to check out the boxes before we opened them. You know, just in case. Not that anyone would send us a bomb or drugs... but, you never know.



Let's start with Aunt Sue's package. I knew what was inside before opening the box. It's true that the box has a label on the outside that lists the contents. But I knew what was inside before looking at the label!


Cookies! And not just any ol' cookies. But Aunt Sue's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies. I imagine they would have tasted fresher if I had picked them up last Friday when they arrived, but when you don't receive a notice from the post office, what can you do? Still, they were very good!

Next is my mom's package. This is the one that caused me so much trouble on the walk home! And no wonder... look at all the goodness packed inside: 4 jars of peanut butter, sugar free syrup, 3 bags of Splenda brown sugar, and several packages of Ranch mix and gravy mix. She said she was using a flat rate box, so she bought the heaviest things to get the most out of shipping. :)


Finally, the package from the Rushers. Apparently, Brian knew his family was sending our mail that was sent to his parents' house, so he was expecting this box. (He never tells me anything, so it was a surprise for me.) In addition to our mail, they also sent peanut butter, gravy and Ranch mix packets, deodorant, Spelnda brown sugar, and chocolate chips! I hadn't asked for deodorant or chocolate chips, but they must have read on the blog how the deodorant isn't as good and chocolate chips can't be found. Both were welcomed surprises! Oh, and floss! Sharkdog had mentioned on his blog how expensive floss is here, so they threw in a pack of floss as well.


I really wasn't expecting all of this! I mean, I thought we would get something, but this was overwhelming. Especially since we got it all in one day! I can't say thank you enough! I don't usually use so many exclamation points, but this post really called for it.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Wow! You did hit the jackpot. Guess that's what happens when you beg...

Anonymous said...

I think Rhonda and I will be expecting chocolate chip cookies when we come. Glad you finally got the packages. Now we know you may have to go ASK the Post Office for them.

Unknown said...

I think that if I went without ranch and peanut butter for 2 months and then got that much of both in one day, I would probably burst into tears of joy. And then make myself sick on the peanut butter by eating an entire jar with a spoon...or my fingers if I didn't have a spoon nearby.

Sadly, I'm not really exaggerating.

I'm very happy for you. Seriously, congratulations on your haul!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome mom :)

Candace said...

Packages are the best! I am glad the your mailman was not stealing them and that hopefully they get their act together and start leaving notices...

Alisha said...

Christy - I guess you should know what happens when you beg... :)

Mom - I'll be happy to make you both chocolate chip cookies when you visit! I've really been enjoying cooking and baking.

Gina - I think I've got enough peanut butter to last for a while. We ended up with 6 jars! Good thing it stays fresh a long time.

Felicia - Two awesome moms and an awesome aunt! (The rest of the family is great, too!)

Candace - I'm glad the mailman wasn't stealing the packages, too. He'd be in a heap of trouble!