Yesterday, Brian and I headed to the university to take the placement test and buy our books. Since we both wanted to start at the beginning level, they didn't make us take the test.
This morning all of the students met in the auditorium on the main campus for an introduction and then we made a short trek to the language center down the street. There were about 800 students ranging in age from 16 to 60+ in the auditorium. I think the university offers eight language levels and each level has five to eight classes.
Brian and I are in the same class along with nine other students. We are the only students from the U.S. in the class. There are three students from Japan, and then one each from South Korea, England, Canada, Poland, Spain and Moldova (a small country between Ukraine and Romania).
Our first day of class went well, but it's very long. We meet from 9:15 to 1:00 each day and have four 45-minute lessons and three 15-minute breaks (or pause, in German). We have to leave around 8:00 in the morning and return around 2:00 in the afternoon, so class takes up a good portion of our day.
The teaching technique is a bit more conversational than I was expecting, but I think it's going to be good. This technique seems to be the preferred method as all of the schools we looked at used a similar technique. We spent most of the day repeating questions and answers such as "What is your name?" and "How long will you be in Vienna?" We also worked on numbers and days of the week. Today, the teacher allowed some English, but starting tomorrow, she says only German will be allowed.
I know this is a pretty dull post, so I will leave you with some lovely photos of my favorite hound.
He can turn left.
And he can turn right. Plus he's really, really ridiculously good looking. Perhaps he should be a male model.
7 comments:
He's definitely gorgeous. He'll have all the ladies sighing over him once they get a look at these pictures! ;o)
Ich hoffe, ihr habt Spass am Deutschunterricht und lernt viel! :o)
I sure do miss that dog.
Magnum!
He is a handsome hound but don't let it get to his head, the last thing you want is a dog that good looking knowing he's as good looking as he is.
Show us Brown Steel, Sharkdog!
Random information you won't care about alert: I used to work with a really cool guy from Moldova. He was my instant friend when he saw my Led Zeppelin box set on my desk, and he also thought it was cool that my maiden name meant the same thing as his last name. I hope your Moldovan classmate is as cool as Denis was.
LOL He'd make a great male model :)
Wow, Sharkdog is quite popular! I'll have to post pictures of him more frequently.
Court - I actually understood what you wrote! I'm surprised at how much I've learned in three days.
Jessica - I think he misses you too. I can imagine how surprised he will be when you visit!
Candace - This dog knows he's good looking. You can't have a conversation with him without him looking at his reflection in anything shiny!
Gina - Thanks for warning us that we wouldn't care! The Moldovan classmate seems pretty nice.
Felicia - We just might see him modeling soon!
Post a Comment