Monday, September 17, 2007

This one is not about food

For all of the German-speakers out there, you'll have to let me know if you've ever heard this word: Vokuhila. I ran across the word on a forum for expats living in Vienna. It's an acronym for "Vorne kurz, hinten lang," or, in English, "short in the front, long in the back." That's right, it's the mullet. I even looked it up in my favorite online dictionary, and sure enough, there it is.

The mullet is alive and well in Vienna. Brian and I often spot young (and not-so-young) guys sporting the 'do around town. Which makes one wonder: Where do these guys come from? Where are they going? Then last week I found these coupons stuck in my mailbox and I just knew, this is where they must be heading...

5 comments:

thegermanygirl said...

Yup, I've heard of it, and I'm sorry to report that it's also alive and well in Chemnitz. I don't know why.
;o)

Candace said...

Feel the power of the phantom mullet.

Unknown said...

You should definitely attend that Monster Truck Show--what a wonderful opportunity to soak up the Viennese culture.

Alisha said...

Court - No one can understand these things! 80s fashion, in general, seems to be popular around here.

Candace - I had no idea what you were talking about, but when I asked Brian if this meant anything to him he grinned and kindly explained it to me. :)

Gina - Unfortunately, we missed it. What a shame. You may have noticed the large-print "Freikarte" on the ticket, but what you can't see is the small print which actually reads "A free ticket this is not." Maybe we'll catch them the next time around.

April said...

I actually had not heard that word before... that is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!