Tuesday, March 18, 2008

City tour

This morning when I woke up it was bright and sunny, but within a few minutes the clouds had rolled in and we had a bit of a snow shower. It was sunny again by the afternoon, but quite cold. The family decided to brave the cold and Brian led us on a city tour.

We started out at the Riesenrad. I prefer the German name Riesenrad better than the English translation because "Giant Wheel" just sounds silly. Plus, it's a little different from what you would typically think of as a ferris wheel. You don't sit in a little basket with one or two other people. You load into a boxcar with 8 or 10 other people. What it lacks in excitement (is a ferris wheel exciting?), it makes up for in the amazing view. You can see all of Vienna from the windows.

Reisenrad

Amiya on Riesenrad

prater


Afterwards, we headed into the city. We visited Stephansdom (St. Stephan's Cathedral), Michaelerkirche (Church of St. Michael), Peterskirche (St. Peter's Church), and Minoritenkirche (Church of the Minorites). The last one had a really nice mosaic of The Last Supper. But I didn't take a photo. In fact, this is the only photo I took in that church.

photo sign


We also stopped by Brian's favorite cafe -- Cafe Central. I think Amiya was tired of us asking her to smile for photos.

Amiya


But she finally agreed.

Cafe Central


We ended the day with dinner at this restaurant called Centimeter. I've been waiting and waiting to take my family to this restaurant where you can order a sword full of food. But when we got there everyone wanted to order their own thing. After throwing a little fit, everyone agreed to get the group meal -- although some were still worried that there wouldn't be enough food. But once the food arrived, everyone knew I was right for insisting that we go with the group meal.

dinner


The meal included schnitzel, pork chops, french fries, chili and chicken wings. The menu said it was enough for 6 people, but it was probably enough for 8 or 10 people. I think I'll have to make this one of the standard restaurants when we have visitors.

Emmy didn't make it into a lot of the photos because she was sleeping or sitting in her stroller a lot of the day. But she looked awfully cute.

Emmy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ty and I had some Schnitzel on Friday that was almost as good as the stuff I had in Vienna. The lady who owns the cafe is from Krakow, and she obviously loved that I liked her Schnitzel.

Now I HAVE to find a way to get to
Vienna--I MUST have my dinner served to me on a sword at least once before I die. Especially if there is Schnitzel involved.

Emmy is the cutest little doll baby! Look at those eyes and those cheeks! And Amiya is a gorgeous big sis, too.

Looks like you're having a great time. I'm trying not to be jealous. (I'm jealous of anyone who doesn't have a baby with a nasty stomach bug right now. There are only so many times a mother can be puked on before she wishes she was someplace else.)

melissa said...

It's great that you're able to enjoy some time off of studies with family. :)

For a smaller crowd, we've gotten the Mistwagen at Centimeter to have with guests. They say that feeds 4, but we've done it easily with at least 6.

Alisha said...

Gina - We had a great time... and lots of great food. I hope Bennett is feeling better.

Melissa - We saw some people with the Mistwagen and it looked like a lot of food. I think Centimeter overestimates the amount of food people eat!