Sunday, August 24, 2008

Worth the wait

There's just something about living in Vienna that makes me want to bake chocolate chip cookies. Maybe it's because it's like biting into a little piece of America. Or maybe it's because the only time I get chocolate chip cookies is when I bake them myself. Or maybe, just maybe, it's because I really like chocolate chip cookies. Whatever the reason, I seem to get the urge to bake them every couple of months.

So last month when I read a rave review of a chocolate chip cookie recipe over at Orangette, I marked it and decided I would have to give it a try. There are a couple of interesting things about this recipe. First, you're supposed to let the dough chill for 24 to 36 hours before you start your baking. It's hard, I know! But I could really tell a difference between the cookies I baked a few hours after making the dough and the ones I baked on the following days. And second, you sprinkle a little sea salt on top before baking. I tried baking cookies with and without the salt and I preferred the salty ones. I love the sweet and salty mixture, but Brian said he couldn't taste the salt.

Don't be intimidated by the recipe. It calls for cake flour and bread flour, neither of which are available in Vienna. Well, maybe they're available. But I can't really tell the difference. So I used what I think is an all-purpose flour and cornstarch instead and the cookies turned out delicious. If you want to give his a try, substitute 3.5 cups flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch for both types of flour. (In other words, instead of using 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons cake flour and 1 2/3 cups bread flour as the recipe states, use 3.5 cups all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. You can also throw in a tablespoon of wheat gluten if you have it, but I didn't.)

So head on over to the recipe and give it a try.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can they possibly be as good as Aunt Sue's cookies? Why mess with a good thing?

Christy said...

I was thinking the same thing as Amber...are you trying to get kicked out of the family or what?

Alisha said...

You two just don't understand. You live in the Land of Chocolate Chip Cookies, so you naturally get a variety of chocolate chip cookies. But when you don't have all of the options, you want to try some different recipes. It's not that this one is better or worse than Aunt Sue's recipe -- it's just different. And different is good. :)