Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Baking + Bag

I can't believe how quickly the month is passing. I thought the month would be a little slow since I'm not in class, but I've been keeping myself quite busy. I even had to buy a pocket calendar to keep up with all of my appointments!

I finally had a mostly free day and spent most of the afternoon in the kitchen. I baked cookies, bread and granola. In the spirit of full disclosure, I prepared the cookie dough last week and was just baking the last few cookies today. And I know what some of you are thinking. Granola? Did I go out and hug a tree afterwards?

No. No, I did not.

And the granola is delicious. I used the recipe on Orangette with a few tweaks. I didn't add the sesame seeds or ginger because I didn't have them. And I replaced the brown rice syrup with maple syrup because I didn't know where to find the brown rice syrup. It taste great and the apartment smelled lovely for hours and hours after I had finished cooking.

I also finally cut into my hippo fabric. Not today -- sometime last week. I made this cute reversible shoulder bag. The other fabric came from the crazy textile shop outside of town.

baghippo

bagstripes

It seems springy/summery to me, so I probably won't use it much for a while. But I definitely plan on taking it to the zoo. I mean, come on, a hippo bag! At the zoo! I'd be crazy not to take it.

I used this tutorial from Lula Louise, in case you're interested in making your own. I really like the shape and the feel of the bag, but since it doesn't have any closures I'm not sure that I would use it for my daily bag. I think I will make a pouch for it and keep it in my regular bag so it's handy when I stop by the grocery store. If I ever make another one, I'll try to stick with fabric with a vertical pattern because the seams are on the front and back instead of the sides. I tried to line up the stripped fabric, but I'm just not that talented. Still, I'm pretty pleased with how the bag turned out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE that bag! I love it so much that I'm considering getting rid of Steve and marrying that bag.

Kiser said...

Thanks for the comment on the blog. Good to hear from you guys. Hope you're doing well. ck

Alisha said...

Gina - I'm glad you like the bag, but unfortunately I don't think human/bag marriages are legal. Maybe in the Netherlands. But, for the time being, I advise you to stick with Steve.