Sunday, November 2, 2008

Are you up for a challenge?

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

I did it. I took the pledge. The pledge to buy handmade this holiday season. Actually, my plan is to give gifts made by my hands. But there may be a little buying involved as well. And I'm really excited. I've already completed a few gifts and have a few more in progress. Mostly sewing, but I have some other things in the hopper as well.

For me, giving handmade gifts isn't about saving money. In fact, it would probably be cheaper to buy gifts. It's about spending time and energy creating something. I've been thinking about this all year. Honestly, Ive been bookmarking tutorials and gift ideas since last Christmas. I've found a lot of great ideas that I won't be able to use because they're not very suitable for mailing or some other reason. So I'm going share some of those ideas during the month of November. Not every day. I don't want to scare off the male readership. But hopefully once a week.

First up, gift ideas for children.

Homemade playdough. I made playdough about two months ago and it has held up very well. Buy a few small plaster containers, print cute labels from the computer, and voila! A cute, inexpensive handmade gift.

Tutu. I used this tutorial from Plumtickled to make a tutu for a birthday gift. It was easy, but it took a bit longer than the half hour suggested in the tutorial.

tutu

And finally, a fishing game. I haven't found a reason to make this yet, but it's really cute. I'm sure I'll find an excuse to make it sooner or later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the tutu also and it did take longer than expected, but turned out oh so cute. Every girl needs a tutu, so it is worth the effort.

As far as the fishing game goes, Scott is dead set on us having a boy, so maybe you'll be able to make it for him someday!

Alisha said...

I've thought about making the fishing game for the girls -- after all, girls can fish, too! But I thought Amiya might be a little old and Emmy a little young, so I haven't made it yet.

Leciawp said...

Do you have ideas for handmade gifts for adults/families? I'm looking for ideas for host/hostess gifts.

Anonymous said...

Amiya and I made the play dough using the recipe you put on the blog a while back. She had fun making it.

Lisa said...

Hey Alisha - saw this and thought it might be right up your alley for a costume or something...http://www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/2008/11/get-a-free-epattern-from-sense-and-sensibility.html.

Elaine said...

Love the fishing game idea. I have four nephews and think I'll give it a go. Thanks for the idea!

Tonya Tuggle said...

You ARE crafty! i think you would have no probs at all picking up crotchet. i love the tutu. very impressive.