Monday, July 6, 2009

Rockin' it with The Boss

Before we moved to Vienna I had this crazy idea that Brian and I would get to see some amazing shows while we lived here. And two years after moving here, we finally attended our first concert. And it was pretty amazing.

I think one of my favorite parts was when Bruce did his preacher-man speech about building a house -- mainly because it seemed to really confuse the crowd. Maybe it was the whole language issue. It went something like this:
Bruce: Tonight we have come all this way to the land of musicians to fulfill a solemn vow.
Crowd: Wooo!
Bruce: We've come here to rock the house!
Crowd: Woooooo!
Bruce: And we're gonna ROCK THE HOUSE!
Crowd: WOOOOOO!
Bruce: But we're not just gonna rock the house. We're gonna BUILD a house!
Crowd: Wha?
I couldn't find the speech for the Vienna show, but this is basically the same thing from a show in London.


Other high points of the show included when Bruce collected signs with song requests from the people in the crowd. One of the signs read "Should I Stay or Should I Go," to which Bruce responded, "I've never even heard of that one." Then during the encore, a girl removed her shirt which contained her request of Jersey Girl. Apparently, that was a first for Springsteen. He hung the shirt on the mic stand and then returned it to her after the song.

If you like Bruce Springsteen or just want a little taste of the action, here's a 10-minute video that covers the 3-hour concert.

No comments: