If you've traveled on public transportation in Europe, you may have experienced an OLE. Of course, an OLE can happen almost anywhere -- the grocery store, the park, minding your own business walking down the street -- but it seems to occur more frequently on public transportation. An OLE (that is, Old Lady Encounter) is an event where an elderly lady tells you -- often if a very loud voice -- that you're doing something completely wrong. Of course, these occur in the U.S. as well, but it's always a bit more traumatic when you're being scolded loudly in a foreign tongue. An OLE may occur because you're standing when you should be sitting, or sitting when you should be standing, or because you've opened a window and let a "draft" in, or because you're not wearing a scarf when it's cold outside, or you're drinking something you shouldn't (more on this later). The possibilities are endless. I know there are many of you out there who have experienced an OLE. Last week Brian and I had our first encounter with an old lady on the u-bahn, but fortunately, it was quite pleasant. It went a little something like this:
Brian and I are sitting on the u-bahn heading into town when an old woman comes and sits across from us. After a few moments, the women draws several hard candies from her bag and offers one to each of us.
OL: something in German that I don't remember (or didn't understand)
me (waving my hand, kindly, in the international symbol for "no"): nein, danke (no, thanks)
OL: sicher? (sure?)
me (still smiling and waving): nein, danke
OL (holding both of the candies out to me): für später (for later)
me (taking the candies and placing them in my bag): OK, danke
It was at that moment that I realized what she was offering. Ricola -- generally used (in the U.S., at least) as a cough drop. Not necessarily my idea of candy, but they came in very handy later on when I had a cough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Misty had a lovely OLE while visiting us in England, on the Rainbow 5 (my favourite bus)! The bus was full so we didn't get to sit by each other and she ended up by an elderly lady who told her all about her folding cane and what a wonderful invention it was.
I'm glad that other people have had pleasant OLEs. I hope all my OLEs are nice!
My OLE happened near the exit to Julius Meinl. I was waiting for my friend to finish buying our standard snack of chocolate Viennetta and Clementines when this tiny old lady came up and started talking a mile a minute. She was smiling and patting my cheek, and the only words I recognized were the words for "pretty" and "bright" (my German spelling sucks, so I won't even attempt it). I'm guessing it was a positive encounter...perhaps she was complementing my hair or my smile or my eyes or something. I was a little freaked out to have a stranger jabbering at me and touching my face, so I just kept smiling and nodding and saying "danke." I figure either I reminded her of her granddaughter or she'd recently escaped from the looney bin. Either way, I took it as a complement.
Post a Comment