Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dreaming in deutsch

I had some trouble sleeping last night and decided to get up for a little snack. A few minutes later, Brian realized I wasn't in bed and called for me. I returned to the bedroom to see what he needed. He asked me what I was doing and I told him I was looking for something to eat. That's when the conversation got a little strange.

Brian: "Did you tell the neighbors it was ready?"

I had no idea what he was talking about so I asked him to repeat what he had said.

Brian: "Did you tell the neighbors? That the food was ready?"

Me: "I don't know what you mean."

Brian: "Nachbartisch."
(This is the German word for the neighboring table, like at a restaurant or cafe.)

Then he giggled, rolled over and went back to sleep. I asked him today if he remembered the conversation and he said he didn't.

But he still thought the word "Nachbartisch" was pretty funny.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny. I remember after Tamika and I got married I used to freak her out speaking to her in my sleep in Polish. But on the bright side, I think congrats are in order for making such a good progress in learning Deutsch! I remember starting to dream in English when I really began to "get"the language. Glückwünsche!

thegermanygirl said...

That is hilarious! I love stories about people talking in their sleep. And I can totally relate to the weirdness of randomly saying things in another language. Ed says I recently rolled over in the middle of the night and said "auf jeden Fall" in a very decisive, German manner. "Nachbartisch" is definitely amusingly random! ;oD

Alisha said...

Yes, it's kind of funny what happens in dreams. A night or two ago I had my first dream with a little bit of German. A young boy (who obviously was not a native speaker) was asking someone where something was located. I can't remember what he was asking for -- maybe chocolate? I wonder what that means? Even in my dreams, the simplest German phrases are a struggle to get out.

Tamika said...

how funny, it is a good sign though. I remember when I first realized I was understanding Polish and I would dream of myself speaking Polish to people I knew