Today Brian and I had our first oral exam in German class. Just so I don't keep you in suspense for too long, we both did well. We don't have the grades yet, but we are both confident that we passed with good marks.
The whole thought of an oral exam was a little intimidating, but I had a lot of info going into it, so that helped put me at ease. I knew that the proctor administering the exam would not be my regular teacher, I would have to speak over three topics and it would last about 5 minutes.
First, I had to introduce myself and tell why I was in Vienna. Then I had to speak about my favorite object -- the one I presented to the class earlier in the semester. I knew both of these topics prior to the exam, so I was completely prepared for them.
For the third topic, my teacher gave the class a list of possible questions earlier this week. Then when it came time to speak over the third topic, I had to draw a card and answer the question. Some of the questions were really easy. Talk about your last vacation. Where did you go? What did you do? But some of them were a bit more... abstract. What do you think about the future?
Fortunately, I drew a pretty easy question. I'm visiting your hometown for 3 days. What attractions are there? What do you recommend I see? This question was especially easy because it's the exact same question I drew during the practice exam yesterday. So I felt pretty confident in answering it.
The hardest part of the exam was knowing that the proctor could ask additional questions at any moment. She could ask something about your family. Or some detail about your hometown. Or whatever.
I know the proctor asked a few questions, but only one sticks in my mind. While talking about my favorite object (a wedding photo), she asked me whether I wore a white dress.
I'm not quite sure what she was getting at.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ha! That *is* pretty random....although, if Austrian wedding trends are anything like German ones, wearing a white wedding dress is very unusual these days. not because of any social stigma, but simply because people prefer red, black, tan, purple, or any combination thereof!
Congrats on doing well on your exam!
P.S. Thanks for putting that song in my head, by the way. ;o)
Way to go!
Sounds like you guys are really progressing nicely!
Ugh! Oral exams are so nerve-wracking! I had one at the end of my first year of Spanish. She only asked me about my family and the weather, but it was still hard...especially since I talk fast when I'm nervous, and fast-talking in a new language is pretty much never a good idea!
That wedding dress question is so random! But I suppose in the whole history of weddings, the white dress tradition is barely a blip. It's only been around for a century or two, and who knows if it will still be around a century from now?
You crack me up Alisha! I drove through Arlington today and thought of you! Hope all is well in Austria. Love ya!
Post a Comment